Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Family Camp Out

We had a first this weekend for our family. We decided to venture out on our first family campout. We went with two other families with young kids so we thought we'd go for it:) For the most part it was a great time had by all of us but we had some rough times. Things started out well and Peyton enjoyed exploring things and checking things out with the other kiddos. Shaye and I were in charge of dinner that night so we got things cooking and we enjoyed a nice dinner of chicken cordon blu in the dutch oven. So things were going well until it was time to go to bed. About 9:30 I headed into the tent with Peyton cause he was getting cranky and he was trying to get into the fire. I had hoped he would go to sleep quickly but this was not the case. I laid in the tent with him for 2 and half hours before he finally fell asleep at 12:30!! He wasn't crying but he thought we were still playing or something. Peyton never sleeps with us at home and so he just roamed the tent taking everything out of our bag and laughing every time he heard those that were out around the fire laugh. Or if he heard Shaye talking he'd start saying, "Daddy? Daddy?" So that was rough but he finally must have gotten tired enough he came and cuddled up next to me and went to sleep. So then I was able to sneak out of the tent and enjoy some visiting time with everyone around the fire. We were able to sneak back in the tent with out much trouble but then it was just a long night of pretty much no sleep for me. We were all three on a little air mattress and I was trying not to fall off and not move to much so I didn't wake up Peyton. I must say it was a long night. Then of course the sun came up at 6 and Peyton was awake by 6:30. So he got about 6 hours of sleep and I got none...this was not good. I must say our thoughts at that early hour were to just pack up our things and head for home but luckily we decided to stick it out and we had a great time   during the day. Some how all of my pictures uploaded in random order and I don't know why and I don't know how, (or don't want to take the time) to figure out why:)
Kenidee was nice enough to share her little gun with us and let us try it out. Shaye said I had to try and shoot it and of any gun I must say this was much more my speed, plus it was pink:)
Do I look like I know what I'm doing? Not so much:)
Peyton wasn't sure what to think about it.
His favorite part was helping put the bullet in and getting things ready, he didn't care so much to help shoot it.
I am sure this is just the beginning of times of Peyton with his dad and their guns.
Peyton and Shaye enjoying the warmth around the fire, plus Brooke and Peyton's little friend Karter.
These two boys are just too cute. This was a rare moment when Peyton and Trace weren't playing in the dirt or off exploring this new place and they decided to take a break and take a seat for a minute.
All in all the trip was a success. Here's Shaye and J.R. with one of the many fish they caught that day. The weather was nice and warm and the company was great. We were definitely happy to come home though and get some sleep!!

6 comments:

JEN said...

Camping is great. Looks like fun! Minus the lack of sleep, of course:)
You foo look like a natural holding that gun;)

JEN said...

*do... Not foo;)

Brant and Jana said...

I love summer camping with friends! Sorry about the no sleep :( I wonder how Bennett will do

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I love camping with the family, but the worst part is definitely the lack of sleep!

Hollie said...

Looks like fun! Scott and I were sad we were going to miss it! Camping isn't always the best sleep though...but still so much fun! I want a pink gun! haha

Malinda S. said...

We always brought a pack in play and started at a young age whenever we traveled, camped or went to family things trained our kids to sleep in it. Lifesaver! So worth it. Once we wanted to pack light to go to the lake and didn't bring it. We almost run into Page to buy a new one. :)